|September 5, 2012||Posted by chareatsgreens under dessert, recipe, vegan|
Ok, I won’t sing the preteen song, but it’s seriously tempting. Just like this shortcake I’m about to show you.
I’ve never made strawberry shortcake before, but I’ve recently seen it on MasterChef (aka: my favourite food show EVER), so maybe that’s why it was fresh on my mind when I thought about wanting to make coconut whipped cream.
Let me tell you, I’m glad it was on my mind because shortcake is delicious. And super easy. Both things that agree with me when it comes to baking. If you only have 10 minutes, then you can totally make shortcake, too.
Here’s how you do it…
Strawberry ShortcakeLightly adapted from here (ie: I veganized it).
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 4 tbsp natural cane sugar
- 1/3 cup Earth Balance
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 pint of fresh strawberries, sliced
- Coconut whipped cream* (amazing tutorial on how to make it, found here)
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- In a medium to large bowl, combine flour, baking powder and cane sugar.
- Cut in Earth Balance with pastry cutter (or if you have yet to purchase one like me, a whisk works wonderful), until the mixture is crumby.
- Add milk and vanilla to mixture and combine it all together.
- Form dough into 4 same-sized balls and place on baking tray.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes.
*For the coconut whipped cream, my ingredients used were:
- 1 can of organic full-fat coconut milk
- 2 tsp organic cane sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
But if you seriously want something sweet and moist, with a perfect combination of bread, fruit and whipped cream, then make this.
Just don’t cheap the person you’re making it for on the whipped cream…they take notice.
But do cheap them if it’s cutting into what you get .