why i care so much about my health + eats for the week
|February 17, 2014||Posted by char eats greens under food, meal plan|
It’s Monday morning and I will try my best to not count down the days until I return to school (even though it’s 8). Since going away didn’t work out for my week off school (insert super sad face), we’re doing the next best thing – driving 50 minutes to my grandparents’ house in Oakville for the night.
I actually have a hair appointment tomorrow morning with my favourite hairdresser who I haven’t seen in a while because she lives over an hour away from me (she’s in the town where I did my first undergrad degree), so I stopped seeing her once Nia was born. Since I have this week off, I made sure to get in to see her, which gave us an excuse to go to Oakville/Burlington area (aka: my fave area in Ontario). She’s the ONLY hairdresser that really makes me the blonde I love to be (because life is about those shallow moments where you just need to be completely blonde to feel better about yourself).
On the agenda while we’re away today/tomorrow:
- Lunch at The Naked Sprout (with my grandparents)
- Kelly’s Bake Shoppe
- Hairdresser (Niki) for hair did
- My favourite natural baby store a 5-minute walk from my grandparents’ house: Simply Green Baby
- Whole Foods Oakville
- Hang out with my grandparents
- See my friend, Mel (tonight)
- Was suppose to see my friend, Carly tomorrow, but might be postponed now
- Pick up a purchase off of kijiji (a steal of a deal that I got for Nia!)
So why do I love Oakville/Burlington so much (and what this has to do with the title of today’s post)? Because there are so many great health options there (as you can see from my list above of places we are going to go).
I have become SO passionate about my health over the past couple of years and visiting all of the amazing places that Oakville and Burlington have to offer just reinforces the fact that my health is important. Whether it’s eating local (and supporting local business), or organic, or as natural as possible…these are some of the most important things to me now, and for my family! I find, in particular, Oakville and Burlington have so many options available, when it comes to eating healthy, and I love it. I never want to leave (and partially want to slip into a food coma)!
It also reiterates the fact that I need to make this my career. I love food. I love learning and reading about food. I love being around food all day long. I want to make good, healthy food my life and help change other lives through food too (like it’s done for me)! This is probably why one of my favourite quotes is:
I hope to be an advocate for making healthy living become effortless and easy…and enjoyable!! (The three E’s?)
Speaking of (mostly) healthy foods, let’s talk a look at some of meals that I have planned this week (that’s right, because I planned again!):
- butternut squash, chickpea and red lentil stew (using the crockpot!!!) (via Eat, Live, Run)
- a powerhouse soba noodle bowl (with tofu, broccoli, bok choy, red bell pepper, mushrooms in a ginger-garlic-peanut sauce)
- homemade veggie pizzas (with peppers, onion, mushrooms, and spinach)
- BLTs (because I can’t get enough, and making tempeh bacon is the easiest thing ever!) with roasted sweet potatoes and kale chips
Plus, this past weekend, I’ve also enjoyed:
-steel cut oats with ground flax, chia seeds and wheat germ added in, fresh organic blueberries, and a drizzle of maple syrup (eaten on both weekend mornings in a row)
-OSG’s favourite chili + vegan sour cream
-individual brownies with vanilla coconut milk ice-cream and heated up organic frozen raspberries
-coconut curry red lentil soup (recipe to come!)
And this morning you can count on pancakes with organic berries being consumed before we head off!
Question: How do you define how you eat? Or, what makes you eat the way you do?